31 October 2019: Madrid (923 total)

Halloween. The stores are decorated and I'm looking forward to see what goes on in Madrid. I did not find that many costumes this evening, so I'm either too late or too early. Probably the latter, as Spanish children can be found out past 10 pm many nights riding their bikes and on the playgrounds.
Happy Princess and Sad Princess at the Sofia. 

I changed my mind on bike riding today, as the Reina Sofia Art Museum is just across the plaza and opens at 10 am. While I visited it on a prior trip, I finally realized that the exhibits change. I can ride anywhere but not visit a world class museum.

I explored my neighborhood last night and found a specialty bar offering perhaps 16 craft beers and 16 wines by the glass, all listed on a chalk board. So, after the museum . . .

Repacking. Keeping the bike case under 50# or 22 kilos is tricky when I lack a scale. This morning I removed the tools seat post, bike cable lock, and pedals to place in the duffel. Hopefully, that will be sufficient. While Delta grants some slack, my first flight is by KLM and they might not be so kind. The duffel is getting heavier, as my last impulse purchase in Seville was a liter of organic olive oil. It was that or sherry, perhaps a better buy, but we already have plenty of sherry for cooking.

The Reina Sofia, reputed as one of the best modern art museums in Europe, is directly across a plaza 
from my hotel, the Hostal Fernandez


Reminds me of a Star Wars character.

Perhaps someone can tell me what this means, but I liked the bike silhouette.

Nice neighborhood cafe where I had my morning coffee and met the Dog of the Day #1. Very cute cafe dog—went around to the patrons and stood on her hind legs, begging.

Well done mural, it was nearly 89 feet long.

Excerpt for the cat lovers. 

Covers the establishment offering craft beers and wines by the glass. Planning to return.

I returned about 6 pm and it looked pretty slow. Spaniards are used to inexpensive beer, about 1.20 to 1.50 euro for the standard lager on tap, so this beer at 3 to 5 euros for the same .3 liter glass is steep. Plus, they usually fill 1-inch from the top on the theory that they need room for foam. Note the wines are much less expensive.



Just different hours. After nearly 4 weeks, I still am unaccustomed to their late hours. Just 3 people inside, but perhaps they are at the outside tables. At 70F, sitting outside is great except for the constant car traffic.

Sofia Art Dog #1




 Sofia Art Dog #2

Dali could actually paint.


I liked the sculpture but cannot read the inscription. Seems to be brothers sticking together for liberty.

For overindulgent dog owners

I found the La Sanabresa Restaurant by web search as one of the best places for authentic Spanish food on their Comida del día (Meal of the day).

1st course: Paella Mixta. Seafood & Chicken

2nd Course: Cod Boca

Tiramisu 

12 euros, including wine, beer, or any other beverage. I arrived about 1:20, and most tables were occupied. People were waiting soon after. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning and Prep

1 November 2019: Madrid-AMS-MSP-Bozeman (923 total)

29 October 2019: Seville (0 miles-922 total)